I feel honored and privileged to help people solve problems that have to do with their most important relationships – their family relationships. One of the things that I find enormously satisfying about it is that while I often work with people during one of the most difficult transitions in their lives, I also witness their transformation to a new and better life.
My background and interests inform who I am and how I practice law. I was a nurse, a wife, and a mother before I went to law school, after which I became the single-again parent of school-aged children. In the mid-1990s, after I had been practicing law for about ten years, I began also practicing meditation and studying Buddhist teachings. I am active in a number of communities, including the movements to develop collaborative law and to introduce meditation and a meditative perspective to lawyers. I would like to leave positive change in my wake.
Here are my statistics:
• Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree, University of San Francisco, 1984. Graduated with Honors. Published in University of San Francisco Law Review: "Nurses Legal Dilemma: When Hospital Staffing Compromises Professional Standards" (18 U.S.F. L. Rev. 109).
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, 1966. Graduated with Eliot Honors.
• 1990 - Current: Law Offices of Edith Kelly Politis, San Rafael, California
• 1987 - 1989: Attorney, Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro, San Francisco, California
• 1985 - 1987: Attorney, Stark, Stewart, Wells & Robinson, Oakland, California
• Member of California Bar Association
• Member of U.S. Claims Court Bar
• Member of Marin County Bar Association
• Member of Collaborative Family Law Professionals of Marin
• Member of International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
• 2000, Wiley W. Manuel Award, by the Marin County Bar Association
• Organizes the annual lawyers retreat, "Finding Your Center in the Midst of Stress" at Spirit Rock Meditation Center
• Member of the Law Project: Center for the Contemplative Mind in Society